heybabyshop basket heybabyshop delivery heybabyshop logon heybabyshop register Image Map

Welcome To Hey Baby Shop Blog

Welcome To Hey Baby Shop Blog

Wednesday 9 May 2012

Family Meal Planner?!

I have just had another idea about something that really helps us save money (and time!) as a family. A friend of mine convinced me to give meal planning a go. Please don't assume I am a highly organised super-mum...quite the contrary in fact, but that just makes the meal plan even more valuable.

So the idea is that you plan a month at a time. It takes about an hour if you want to include some new recipes (one of the reasons I have started doing it). We are vegetarian so I used to worry about the kids getting a good balanced diet. We also, like any busy family, have some days when a quick and easy meal is necessary, and others where I can spend a bit more time in preparing and cooking a meal. Prior to our meal planning days we would end up eating more pasta than was good for us, and wasting food either in leftovers or buying too much in the first place. Now, shopping is easy because I know exactly what we are eating, leftovers are factored in or eaten for lunch and stressful evenings where we get in late and there is nothing to eat are a thing of the past!

There are quite a few meal planners and tips/ideas online, including this one at Netmums but here is the method as passed on to me by my friend Sara (thanks Sara!) Start by making lists of meals and grouping them in 'types'. For example, I make a pasta list, an egg based list, a pulses list, a potato list etc. Incorporate into this any new meals you fancy having a go at. The beauty of this is that you can get your family trying new things and put these meals on days when you have a bit more time to take the stress out of it. Then put quick and easy meals that you know the kids like on days when you need a quick turnaround. Or put meals that can be reheated on the days when you know there will be more than one 'sitting' required! Put some thought into efficient use of time and energy. So, if you are having chilli one day you could cook extra rice and have fried rice within the next couple of days. Sara leaves one day a week blank (Saturday I think?) to allow for leftovers, a day for daddy to deal with dinner or eat out...but I just found we reverted to our old habit of last minute panic so I fill in every day.

I have spoken to friends about my method and some of them already use a meal plan but tend to do it weekly. I prefer the monthly approach as it allows for more variety and does not feel like a chore when you do it because it is only once a month.

Critics say it takes spontaneity out of your meals and does not allow for flexibility but we have found that if we don't fancy what is on the plan we just swap it for the next day...you know the food is there and it still gets eaten, just on a different day. It does not mean you have to turn down invites either. Just freeze anything you may have prepared before accepting the last minute dinner invite and build it into your next plan.

I can't imagine we will ever revert to managing without a meal plan (well, not while the kids are at home anyway!) Everybody loves it! The kids know what they have for dinner, they have some input into the plan so can request favourites and help me look for new ideas using the cookery books. We definitely waste less food and spend less at the shops, I don't worry about variety in their diet and I don't spend wasted time trying to work out what we are going to eat.

Give it a go and let me know how you get on!


No comments:

Post a Comment