heybabyshop basket heybabyshop delivery heybabyshop logon heybabyshop register Image Map

Welcome To Hey Baby Shop Blog

Welcome To Hey Baby Shop Blog

Tuesday 11 December 2012

Countdown to Christmas...14 days to go!

14 days? That is 2 weeks...I am trying not to panic!


The humble Christmas card...ours have started arriving both at home and at the shop. So far, I have only written the ones that needed to be sent to Australia. 

I wonder if the days of the Christmas card are numbered.  At my daughter's school each child is encouraged to write a Christmas message to all of their friends, stick it on a big Christmas tree and take a small donation for the nominated charity instead of buying cards. Each year we receive an increasing number of e-cards, or messages via social networking sites instead of cards.

Only today I had a conversation with someone who said she is only writing cards for people to whom she can hand deliver, and family of course. 

I have mixed feelings on this. Part of me would love to have written all my cards, got the job done. Postage is getting expensive, there are a lot of charities out there who could make use of the money we will spend on cards this year. And if you don't see someone form one year to the next, why do they need to receive a Christmas card from you?

The other part of me says that it is precisely because I do not have time to visit everyone I would like to, that I need to make the effort to write Christmas cards. That there are some people on our Christmas card list who only hear from us at Christmas...doesn't that make it more important that they get our Christmas wishes?

So, having thought it through, I have decided that the Christmas card still has a place in our lives. I love to receive them and hear people's news. It is nice that someone has taken the time to write a card to you and think of you as they do it. Without our Christmas cards we would have no gift tags for the following year's pressies. 

 With this in mind, rather than dreading writing my cards, and seeing it as a 'job' I will take my time. I will light the fire, pour a drink and enjoy writing Christmas wishes to family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment