heybabyshop basket heybabyshop delivery heybabyshop logon heybabyshop register Image Map

Welcome To Hey Baby Shop Blog

Welcome To Hey Baby Shop Blog

Thursday 9 June 2011

Feeding the family...


Mealtimes in our house tend to be swayed by the meal itself. That is, if I have cooked something the kids like, they are usually chatty, relaxed and light-hearted. Conversely, if I have made something they don't like, the dinner table becomes a battle ground.

I wonder if this is the usual pattern in most homes? Cooking for five people every day is hard work (and I like cooking!) I find my life sometimes spirals into an endless carousel of planning, shopping for, preparing, cooking and cleaning up after, meal after meal. If you are a regular reader you will know we have a veg plot at home. We get a fabulous weekly veg box from Riverford (see the photo for today's box of delights!) and I make most of our bread using Shipton Mill flour. I wholeheartedly believe that, as a parent, one of the most important things you can do for your family is give them a healthy relationship with food. So when we have one of those battle-time dinners, I do wonder why I bother?

I would not say any of our children are fussy eaters (they were all breast-fed and have all been raised on a vegetarian diet) but they certainly know what they like.

Due to a mixture of determination not to have fussy eaters and logistical complications, I have consciously adopted the 'I will cook one dinner and we will all sit down to eat it. If you don't want to eat it that is fine with me but you will sit at the table for the duration of the meal and if you don't eat it there is nothing else until the next meal' approach. My aim is that this will:

a) get everyone eating a good variety of foods.
b) remove any incentive for not eating by leaving the table early.
c) reduce mealtime conflict/meal related anxiety.
d) not use food as emotional bribery.
e) present mealtimes as relaxed family times.

I am clear on my aims and I live in hope that if we persist, one day it will sink in! However, I do sometimes question how long it might be before we get there wonder whether there is room for a little relaxation of the rules??

If you have any thoughts or tips I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment