heybabyshop basket heybabyshop delivery heybabyshop logon heybabyshop register Image Map

Welcome To Hey Baby Shop Blog

Welcome To Hey Baby Shop Blog

Wednesday 19 October 2011

Shopping...

I have just arrived home to our weekly veg box from Riverford. After 10+ years of ordering our vegetables from Riverford, I still open the box with eager anticipation every week! It is always packed full of lovely (relatively) locally grown goodies. By association, I then enjoy cooking the contents for my family far more than I do when I buy vegetables from the supermarket, knowing they have the optimum vitamin and nutrient content. Sad as it may seem to some people, I feel good about it!

I get the same feeling when I buy something we need from a local shop. I know I am a bit biased about this (being a local shop owner) but if I need to buy something, I like to go and chat to a person who can offer advice. I like to touch and feel what I am buying, I like to know exactly what I am buying without any guess work being involved. Most importantly, I like to know that if I have a problem, I can go back to the same place and get help with whatever the problem is. I don't mind paying a little more (not loads more!) for this service, I see it as a kind of insurance.
When I have made my purchase I like to walk away knowing I have made a small contribution to keeping that business going, because I do not want our town to become a bland void with no sense of community.

I know times are tough for lots of people (count us in!) but I don't believe that buying goods as cheaply as you can is the answer. Instead, I would encourage families to think about what they are buying and whether they really need it. Buy less but pay a fair price for it. That way, the growth might be slow but it will be sustainable and hopefully leave a solid economy for our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment